Saturday 13 October 2012

'Use What You Don't' Challenge

Hi there,

I'm back today with this week's Paper a la Mode Challenge: 'Use What You Don't'

How many of you have been collecting crafty 'stuff' for a number of years now, and find that there's a few items you've never used? I know I have a few of those goodies floating around my craft room! Well, this week Theresa is challenging us to use those neglected goodies and be creative with it!

Before I show you my creation though, I have to share my exciting news! I won the main prize on the Digistamps4Joy blog hop and I was gifted the awesome 'Fall Fairy' digi as my prize! I couldn't wait to use that gorgeous fairy and decided to use her for today's challenge.

This is what I've come up with:


The cardstock is GinaK Designs pure luxury in Ivory, Sweet Corn & Sweet Mango and the DP is by BasicGrey (Indie Bloom).

Here is the list of 'what I don't':
  • Digi - I never use digis because I've always had issues with the ink from my printer smearing/smudging when I use Copic markers to colour. Well, I've tried a new technique: heat setting the digis after printing, using my heat gun. Voila! It worked! I've now printed and heat set a whole heap of cute digis to colour in front of the TV at night!
  • I received the green seam binding ribbon in an assorted pack about a year ago and never liked the colour! It just didn't inspire me! LOL Anyway, It was the ideal colour to combine with the fall leaves in the digi! (Sadly the picture doesn't do it any justice, but believe me, it looks great in real life!)
  • The BasicGrey DP - I've had that pack sitting here for almost a year and have never used the fall colours.
  • I really wanted to add some skeleton leaves, but since the challenge is to use the stuff we usually don't (and I didn't want to go and buy leaves), I used my Tim Holtz distress markers to make some leaves with the GinaK 'Fall Foliage' stamp set. I used the kiss technique to create the leaves. I've had the distress markers for about 3 months now and this was my first time using them - I know, that's really sad! LOL
Lastly, I added some stickles to her wings - all fairies have shiny wings!! LOL

That's me for today! Please hop over again soon!
Hugs,
M

5 comments:

Hannelie said...

Dis beautiful!

OlgaB said...

You've done a great job...love the way you did the fairy!

Amanda said...

Gorgeous card, and great challenge.

hugs Amanda

Jennie said...

Lovely card Madeleen! Love the colors and the speckled leaf!!

Patricia said...

Wonderful job! The color combo is beautiful. I had trouble with coloring digis too and did the heat thing. I also use a finishing spray (Michael's) and that seems to help. Now if I could just get the coloring as good as yours. LOL!