Saturday 28 July 2012

Upcycled Newsprint & Tutorial

Hi there and welcome back! Thanks again for all the lovely comments on last week's hop! It was my very first blog hop I participated in, and I had so much fun!

This week I'm sharing a card I made for the Paper a la Mode Challenge (Saturday Challenge) over on The Outlawz Challenges. Our challenge this week is to create something with everyday packaging/things around the house. Back when I started card making, I came across someone's creation using newsprint and I tried it at the time but haven't used it since. Well, I decided it was just the thing to use for this challenge. This is what I came up with:


Here is the tutorial of how I did it:

You will need:
Newsprint
Round dies/punches (in different sizes - I used my Nestabilities dies)
Buttons/Brads
Distress ink
Glue


Using different sized dies, cut out circles. I cut out four different sized circles for each flower (and I made 3 flowers).

 

Once the circles have been cut, scrunch each one up into a tiny ball and then flatten out again. The newsprint will be nice and crinkled now. Rub each circle lightly with the distress ink, using the pad to paper technique.
The circles will now look like this:

Layer the circles for each flower from the smallest to the biggest, and push a brad through the middle to secure all the layers.
Voila!

Once you've placed the brad and the layers are secure, you can continue to scrunch the 'petals' around the brad, to give it a more crumpled look.

Decide on the layout for your creation and secure with glue. Here is a close-up picture:

The sentiment is from GinaK's Whimsical Spring (illustrated by Theresa Momber) and I heat embossed it to match the shiny brads.

Thanks for visiting!
Hugs,
M

3 comments:

Dawn @ LilyPinkScraps said...

I love text on everything so these are just fabulous!! Fun and funky :)

Louise F NZ said...

Lovely card, the flowers are wonderful you made a fantastic job of them.

Dr Sonia S V said...

Such an awesome tutorial. Thank You so much for following my blog. From Outlawz,
Cheers
Sonia
cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com